Re: [Monotone-devel] packages linked from homepage [Was: monotone 0.44 r

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] packages linked from homepage [Was: monotone 0.44 released]
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:00:09 +0200

Lapo Luchini schrieb:
> Thomas Keller wrote:
>> Lapo Luchini schrieb:
>>> …and is on FreeBSD Ports since yesterday =)
>>>
>>> http://www.freshports.org/devel/monotone/
>> Cool, do you want to link that from the front page?
>
> Mhh, FreeBSD Ports and CygWin packages were sometimes linked from the
> "Get It" list in homepage but I don't think they really fit in there:
> that's a list of downloadable packages of latest revision only, not of
> packaging system that include monotone.
> OTOH people on system that use packaging system usually prefer to use
> any latest revision their packager think should be available on their
> system and thus don't really care if it's latest-latest or not, so
> listing in homepage ONLY latest-revision packages seems a bit diminutive
> to me: reading the website it seems monotone is never available on
> FreeBSD, NetBSD, nor Debian... while in fact it's been in there
> consistently for a few years.

Well, I'd be ok with putting up links for FreeBSD, NetBSD or Debian as
well - just to tell people "hey, fire up your favourite package manager
to get it" and to give them a link to the most recently packaged version.

> Take a look at the committed proposal in revision
> 8918c97095c9736e554a2428b9a784f1128c8107
> which you can get with: mtn pull lapo.it net.venge.monotone.web

Yes, I like that. Maybe these two sections could be clearer separated
and the style sheets could be hacked a bit, but its basically what I
spoke of above.

> PS: I think MIME-types on monotone.ca should be hacked in order to serve
> files such as NEWS as text/plain and not as a generic binary download

I get http://monotone.ca/NEWS delivered as text/plain:

Date            Thu, 21 May 2009 11:57:01 GMT
Server          Apache/2.2.11 (Debian) PHP/5.2.9-2 with Suhosin-Patch
mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.4 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL
/0.9.8g mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0
Last-Modified   Tue, 12 May 2009 21:09:40 GMT
Etag            "198813e-1caae-469bd83558d00"
Accept-Ranges   bytes
Content-Length  117422
Keep-Alive      timeout=15, max=100
Connection      Keep-Alive