Re: [Monotone-devel] Roster handling in the code

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Roster handling in the code
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:19:13 +0200

Am 25.07.2009 10:46, schrieb Nathaniel Smith:
Yeah, that'd probably work -- loop over the cset, convert the paths
into node_id's, then just loop over those. The trick is making sure
you look up all the correct paths in the correct rosters so you never
miss any modified nodes -- this will take some groveling over the
exact definitions of the various cset operations and probably some
additions to the Giant Roster Tests to make sure the results are the
same with/without the optimization.

The other way would be to teach the roster+cset ->  new roster code to
keep a list of dirtied nodes, but that might be tricky for merges, I
forget.
I tried these (and more) and failed to find my way around the code base to fix this. That's probably due to my lack of c++ experience (both language and best practices), but well.. I'll have to give up, also because this exceeded the time I could allocate to this issue. Just wanted to note that this issue is unclaimed again.

The auroraux project is ran into this issue, so if someone here wants to spend some time, and has more experience with the codebase, and wants to help a project with 50k files in the tree, this would be a good opportunity. It also seems to be a smaller issue than policy branches ;-)

Regards,
Patrick