[Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:06:12 +0200

Hello,

I am of the opinion that the next version of monotone should be 1.0 because of
the netsync flag day.

This would allow us, maintainers of monotone in Debian, to provide two
versions of monotone in parallel: monotone (the latest) and monotone0 (0.44),
or monotone1 and monotone.  This would allow people to have both versions
installed at the same time, without a clash.

I think this would be desirable because Debian 5.0 "Lenny" contains version
0.40, runs on many servers including www.ada-france.org, and will remain in
service for at least another two years.  Thus the transition period for the
netsync change cannot be shorter than that.

In fact, I would suggest a policy whereby the major version number changes
whenever netsync changes; if this policy had been in place since the
beginning of monotone development the next version would be 3.0 or 4.0, I
believe,

--
Ludovic Brenta.