Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number t

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:31:25 -0500

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 19:50 +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I am of the opinion that the next version of monotone should be 1.0 because
> > of
> > the netsync flag day.
>
> -1
>
> A flag day certainly doesn't justify a version increment to 1.0, quite
> the opposite, IMO.

Well, it depends on what you take the version numbers to mean. :)

If 1.0 means "it's done" and 2.0 is something to do a decade later, then
yeah it doesn't make sense.

If it's <incompatible change count>.<update count>, then it makes
perfect sense. Well, assuming a large enough user-base that
"0.x == anything-goes" doesn't fly.

> BTW: I'm a bit surprised by this flag day and don't remember any
> discussion about whether it's worth it or not. Or when.

Yes, the next one (SSL, etc) needs better planning.

Some reasons for this one getting less discussion than otherwise are
that it's fixing a longstanding bug with moderately severe consequences
(which was starting to really annoy the pidgin people), that there
wasn't anything else to batch it up with, and even to some extent that
things have seemed rather dead lately. And that nobody said anything
about it when I asked about merging the branch in two weekends ago.