Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone questions on stackoverflow.com (automatic

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone questions on stackoverflow.com (automatic tarball?)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:09:58 -0600

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
Hmmm, you're writing something about unchecked pulls, and it has me
wonder if that could be an idea to explore...

Right now, with just half a minute of thought, I wonder if it would be
possible to have some kind of lazy check, that new revisions wouldn't
be checked during pull, but rather when used for the first time...

I wonder how long a full pull of the monotone database would take with SHA1 checking disabled on the client or on the server or (shudder) on both verses with it enabled on both sides as it is now.

I think I've heard that the pidgin server is generally working pretty hard and I wonder if it would be a reasonable idea to have it not do any SHA1 checking and instead expect/require/hope that the clients pulling from it would do the checks themselves? This would at least distribute the work of checking revisions over N clients rather that putting it all on one server. Presumably the server would want to be checking incoming revs regardless of such a setting.

Obviously a switch to turn off SHA1 read checks at the database level is a rather dangerous thing but if it does make a big difference to network performance then maybe it's not all bad. I'm not sure how much checking of things the competition does, but my impression is that monotone does more and suffers an apparent performance hit because of it.

Cheers,
Derek