[Monotone-devel] Server broken

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Server broken
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:04:11 +0200

I'll admit, this is starting to be tiresome.  My server has been a tad
problematic lately, and it's getting there again.

This time, the disk has broken in a pretty serious way.  Lots of file
names seem to be disconnected from their inodes, giving me listings
like this:

# ls -l /var/log
-????????? ? ?        ?               ?                ? syslog.4.gz

That's not something that makes me joyful.

I have a spare disk, same brand and model.  I can only hope that the
current disk was some kind of extreme and that it doesn't speak for
that brand or model.

What I'll do next is to move the server home within the week that
comes (in the little time that I have, this had to happen right before
a busy week, didn't it, eh Murphy? ;-)), check things through, copy
what can be copied to the spare disk, take the rest from backups (the
backup is good), move disks around and take it back to co-location,
then cross my fingers.

All this makes me think that this could be a good reason to pick up an
idea that I recall was mentioned here before, a way to have a number
of machines cooperating in some kind of loose monotone cluster.

As it is now, I'm reachable on this address.  My server may be up, but
my imap folder is partly trash, making it difficult to do something
useful with it.

--
Richard Levitte