[Monotone-devel] review of nvm.automate_out_of_band

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] review of nvm.automate_out_of_band
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:14:22 +0100

Hi there!

Was began as Christof's work at the last summit more than a year ago
should finally be feature / documentation / test complete: out-of-band
messages like warnings / errors / tickers in stdio (and remote_stdio).
On top of that I slightly reworked the error codes for stdio commands as
described in NEWS and did a couple of smaller fixes on my way.

There are one or two FIXMEs still left in the code where I tend to
document the missing functionality / behaviour as known problem, f.e.
when executing a command remotely which supports tickers (the only one
to date with which this should be possible right now is `bandtest' which
is hidden anyways, but when nvm.automate-netsync lands there are a
couple of commands more).

My next task is to bring nvm.automate-netsync to life again, where the
ticker stuff was one of the missings pieces which needed to be done
beforehand. I'm still open for discussions / brainstorming in this area
and also f.e. automate cert, how we can gracefully handle
password-encrypted private keys without trying to prompt, which would be
particularily bad over stdio.
My ideas so far in this area are rather hacky, as the code which prompts
for the phrases and decrypts keys should probably get refactored
completly anyways, since decrypting a key once is not enough as the key
store (and its internal key cache) are not shared between different
key_store instances.

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Thomas.