Re: [Monotone-devel] race condition on mtn automate stdio startup

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] race condition on mtn automate stdio startup
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:31:22 +0100

Am 19.12.09 01:34, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> It might be better to have standard queries for any meta information;
> there is mtn automate interface-version
>> The one thing I'm struggling right now is to let these headers be also
>> properly displayed for remote_stdio (over the network), but I guess in a
>> couple of days this should land on mainline.
>
> In this case, I want the first message just to mean "connection to
> remote established, ready for command". So the actual message can come
> from the local machine; no need for headers over the net.
>
> If we are looking for "remote interface_version", that should be a
> stdio query, not a header. So again, a simple "ok" would be good as
> the first output.

This does not happen on my, but on Timothy's request, because he wants
to prevent another full breakage of stdio without an easy way to
recognize this beforehand. (Hint: nvm.automate_out_of_band will remove
the error code field in the stdio syntax and rather sets the result code
as content in the last 'l' stream.)

He also voted for a simple output like "12.0" (or whatever interface
version we have then), but I think this is not very self-explanatory nor
a good possibility to go further ahead. If you want more details, please
consult the "Review of nvm.automate_out_of_band" thread.

Thomas.