Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit error (Possible LUA problem)

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit error (Possible LUA problem)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:40:19 +0100

Am 15.02.2010 13:59, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> Line 33 in std_hooks is the 'spawn' in:
>
> function execute(path, ...)
>    local pid
>    local ret = -1
>    pid = spawn(path, unpack(arg))
>    if (pid ~= -1) then ret, pid = wait(pid) end
>    return ret
> end
>
> So it looks like the path to the executable is nil (should be 'vi', in
> this case). That is in turn specified by the environment variables
> "VISUAL" and "EDITOR" (see std_hooks edit_comment). If
> those env variables are null, it searches PATH for executables named
> 'editor' and 'vi'.
>
> So perhaps you have VISUAL or EDITOR set incorrectly. Or if they are
> not set, try setting them to a valid editor, that is in Cygwin PATH.
>
> On the other hand, the logic in edit_comment seems safe against bad
> env variables, so this is looking like a lua bug.

I don't think that path is not set, but that no arguments are given,
i.e. the magic "arg" variable is nil instead of a table as the error
message suggests. So either there are really no arguments given to this
function and this is where the error comes from, or lua has a faulty
interpretation of "arg".

Philipp, try to open lua from command line and enter

> function foo(...) return unpack(arg) end
> = foo(1,2,3)

Do you see

1       2       3

as output then? If yes, then its not a lua problem.

Thomas.