Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [bug #28789] Cached workspace files between co

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [bug #28789] Cached workspace files between consecutive executed workspace commands
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:03:44 -0700

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> Clearly, all this options-changing-related code gets more and more messy
>> and unmaintainable the more we hack on it :(
>
> Which argues for my suggestion; never write the _MTN/options file,
> unless creating a new workspace, or global option --save-options is
> given. Both cases should affect subsequent automate stdio commands.

I think we can probably come up with a list of operations (*not*
necessarily a list of commands) that should modify the workspace, and
say that nothing else does; but only writing it with a special option
goes against user expectations and makes the shell command interface
less usable.   Things like "mtn up -r <revision not on the current
branch>" really must continue to modify _MTN/options.

zw