Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync connection info cleanup

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync connection info cleanup
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:54:01 -0700

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is the occasional backslash really that bad? '%' conflicts with urlencoding
> (and '*' would only actually glob things if you have some really weirdly
> named files), and '?' is probably necessary for file/ssh sync.

I think it's more important to avoid characters that are meaningful in
URLs (*especially* %) than to avoid characters that are meaningful to
the shell.  People expect to have to quote URLs.  Also, I don't like /
as a separator when it's not traversing a directory-like hierarchy.

So, how about this?

  protocol://address@hidden/path/to/database?include,include,-exclude,-exclude

should work equally well for mtn (with usher), ssh, and file.  Without
usher, you just leave out the /path part.

(Also, ~ in the path part should absolutely have the 'go to home
directory' semantic.)

zw