Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] setup creates _MTN/mtn.db
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 16:33:33 -0700

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 08.05.10 13:44, schrieb Stephen Leake:
>> Second, what is the rationale, both for providing any default name, and
>> choosing this particular name?
>
> The rationale is simply to make monotone less database-centric and
> verbose with respect to the commands needed to start with a fresh project.
>
>> I can see that proving a default db name it makes it easy to start a
>> totally new project. But it's a significant change, and I'm not happy
>> with the path.
>>
>> I'm ok with initializing the database if needed.
>>
>> Once the project grows a branch that they want to checkout into a
>> different directory, having the database in <branch_1>/_MTN/mtn.db will
>> be very odd and confusing; people will wonder if there should be one db
>> per branch, or one db per workspace.

I sympathise with Stephen here a bit - Monotone's ability to share one
database among many workspaces is a significant difference from Git
and Mercurial, and one that should be up-front rather than buried.

How about putting the database in the parent directory of the checkout
and naming it something like _store.mtn by default?

zw