Re: [Monotone-devel] Time for a release

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Time for a release
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 13:59:38 +0200

Am 05.06.10 01:26, schrieb Zack Weinberg:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> So, what should we do here? The addition of -E for all other unices
>> would mean that we'd tamper the test.
>
> I distinctly remember having to add -E on SunOS, and I would not be at
> all surprised if, well, anyone else who doesn't use GNU patch had the
> same behavior.
>
> Therefore I think we should unconditionally add -E.
>
>> (change a test diff to use /dev/nul instead of
>> /dev/nul, f.e., to see the effect - the file is no longer removed on
>> "compliant" systems).
>
> I assume you meant "/dev/nul instead of /dev/null" there?

No, I meant /dev/nul - try GNU patch and tamper the patch file to
"+++ /dev/nul" (which is of course wrong) - then you'll see that empty
files are kept and are only removed explicitely with -E. This is what I
mean - we'd tamper the test if we add -E, because then we just test GNU
patch to correctly interpret the -E option, but not to automatically
remove the file if it is empty _and_ has the target /dev/null.

> By the way, standard English is "e.g." not "f.e."  It expands to
> "exempli gratia".  Yes, that's Latin.  I blame the French.

I remember somebody has told me that a couple of years ago (was it you?)
- I forget it from time to time - I should remember it now for the next
couple of months, though :)

Thomas.