Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone man page

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone man page
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:53:58 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> What I meant with or rather hoped to get feedback for when I asked "is
> it worthwhile to go down this route any further?" was if the
> _information_ in their current form as they're provided by the current
> mechanism is suitable for a decent man page. A few things come into my
> mind here:
>
> a) command / group ordering cannot be ordered in a custom way, therefor
> API commands may come before the really important stuff

This is annoying, but not really important. The important point of a man
page is to be able to search thru all the options/commands at once,
looking for something you could not find from the command line.

> b) its not possible (yet) to add additional information for certain
> commands or groups which should only popup in the man page

That's fine; the texinfo manual is for that sort of thing.

> c) I'm still missing a well-written description - nobody has provided
> any so far

By "description" you mean the first paragraph of the man page? Just say
"world's best distributed configuration management system"; nothing else
is needed :).

Seriously, mtn is too complex to describe in one paragraph; better to
say "mtn is a distributed configuration management system", and then
refer to the texinfo manual.

--
-- Stephe