Re: [Monotone-devel] OS-specific line endings

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] OS-specific line endings
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:48:09 +0200

Am 03.07.2010 21:07, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> As I pointed out in my other post, line endings simply don't matter to
> most open source text processing tools.
Some of them use native line endings for new files. But I suppose that
can probably be changed, too.
I'm not sure how useful "we don't support broken tools" is. That might
be a deal-breaker for those who might want to use mtn but require such
broken tools (with no short-term remedy).

Your per-file attributes seem to be more useful (and can be easily
provided defaults for by extending attr_init_functions). Maybe it makes
sense to cache post-translation hashes for files with that attribute in
_MTN, to have something to quickly compare against locally?

> If we have a way to call an appropriate hook in calculate_ident, then it
> can be used for any symmetrical file munging; line endings, character
> set conversion, encrypting, etc.
character set translation isn't necessarily symmetric.

Patrick