Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:26:52 -0600

Starting a series of replies...

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:40 AM, CooSoft Support <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm not currently using 0.48 and from what I hear nor will I. I to want comments to go in unmolested and not have white space stripped out. For me that is a must.

I've found that I have commits with random amounts of trailing whitespace (newlines) and that's the entire reason that for the trimming. I think Lapo mentioned that he had similar concerns about how much whitespace would precede or follow his commit message and the basic idea was to allow people to stop worrying about such things.

Point taken though, perhaps this trimming should be restricted to leading/trailing newlines and perhaps it should also be configurable by a hook so that can be controlled.

Why are date and author changeable? Surely these should be immutable (apart from one could specify an alternate key on which to perform the checkin - I assume that the same restriction applies when changing the author in the changelog (i.e. you have to have a private key for that user in your keys directory).

They're changeable in the editor exactly  because they are changeable on the command line with --date, --author and --branch arguments and for no other reason.

I also agree that the changelog that the user enters should go at the top. When working with GUIs you quickly learn that trying to slow a user down and make him/her think about the consequences of what they are about to do is mostly a waste of time as they simply get used to clicking on that extra button or in this case scrolling down x lines...

There was *absolutely* no intent of slowing anyone down with this. It was about allowing review and changes and unifying the various randomly different output formats. Configuring your EDITOR with +N should allow the leading lines to be skipped.

Cheers,
Derek