Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:32:04 -0600

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Ethan Blanton <address@hidden> wrote:

Well, I, for one, would like to clarify that I didn't intend my
comments to be wholly negative; I think maybe you grokked that from
the first time, but let me say it anyway.  ;-)  I *like* the editable

Good to hear!

headers, and I think they're a net benefit.  I don't like the prose
preceding the commit, for two reasons:

   1) The new format is just complicated enough that you *have to
      read it*, and I'm so used to ignoring VCS boilerplate (it's
      pretty common for VCSes to dump some sort of instructions that
      can be safely ignored unless, for example, you want to abort a
      commit) that I did so.

Agreed, and once you've read it *once* you probably never need to see it again.

   2) The first blank line in the commit is within the boilerplate,
      but adding the commit message there is invalid.  There was a
      bug which additionally caused any text added there to be lost
      forever, but I think maybe tommyd fixed that(?).

I would have no objections whatsoever to either:

   a) An RFC-822ish header block followed by one blank line, followed
      by the commit message, followed by a magic separator and the
      boilerplate text which I can then safely ignore.  ;-)

I think I prefer this approach so I'll probably start by changing things in this direction unless there's a general preference for (b) below.

   b) The commit message leading things off, followed by a magic
      separator and the metadata, followed by boilerplate I can
      safely ignore.

I agree with the various comments running around that +14 (or
whatever) is easy enough.  I think it's important to not *surprise
people*, though, and the current format is surprising.  I haven't
checked the hook list, but if there's not a "get editor" or "get
commit editor options" hook, after these changes there probably should

I don't think there's a proper hook for this at the moment but that's something else I'll add when I get started on this.

be; that allows one to set the monotone commit editor to include
additional arguments to, say, one's mail editor.  (Which, in my case,
also has a +n to skip RFC822-style headers, and is different from
$EDITOR.)

I may get to this over the next couple of weeks while I'm on vacation but I may not have connectivity to be able to push any changes. I may not get to it until after I'm back too so don't expect to see any changes (from me) for a couple of weeks at least.

Cheers,
Derek