Re: [Monotone-devel] removal of packet functions

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] removal of packet functions
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:54:23 +0200

Am 10.08.2010 15:29, schrieb Zbigniew Zagórski:
> Hello,
>
> New thread for new issue discussed:
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Follow-up Comment #3, bug #30345 (project monotone):
>>
>> I forgot one thing - given the fact that we want to deprecate / remove the
>> packet functions (at least for revisions, certs, files and file deltas) on
>> the
>> long run, we _might_ not want to use read_packets for put_public_key.
>>
>> The removal of the packet functions is on the roadmap for a long time - I
>> don't know if people still use these functions at all.
>
> Hello, nvm.dumb still uses this - although it's now a little outdated now.
>
> That means i still use it from time to time to synchronize via
> sftp/http ... (well i haven't published my work anywhere that's a
> fact).
>
> (Giving that we wait and wait for nuskool/policy branches for years
> nvm.dumb is the only
> solution for synchronization when netsync doesn't work).
>
> Do you have any technical issue with packet stuff ? I do like it :)

I think we have to keep minimal functionality there anyways to
read/write key packets and for now we only plan to deprecate it in 1.0,
not to remove it already. I have no strong feelings though if you say
"keep it, people need it", but for me personally these functions look
like they've been invented for the pre-netsync-era. And while the
section in the manual gives a good intro how to use them, they're
actually hardly usable in real scenarios where you have hundreds, if not
thousands of revisions in your database and want to "quickly" send
changes over a different channel.

But yes, nvm.dumb uses it (while it would be interesting how many people
are using dumb transport these days), but maybe this deprecation will
finally force us bringing the work on alternative transport layers
beside ssh and plain netsync forward.

Thomas.