Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] changelog editor issues
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:37:28 +0100

Stephen Leake wrote:
The only task remaining on the RoadMap [1] for 0.99 is the changelog
editor issues.

I've read thru the email thread [2]. There is overwhelming support for
moving the changelog comment to the top, possibly with a small header.

Francis Russell suggested a format [3] that several other people
seconded:

"

*** MODIFY OR REMOVE THIS LINE TO CANCEL THE COMMIT ***
--Edit fields beneath this line to modify certificate values--
Branch:   uk.co.unchartedbackwaters.simple_cfd.tensor.expr.cse
Author:   Francis Russell <example <at> example.com>
Date:     21/07/10 13:35:29

--Modifications under this line are ignored entirely--
Changes against parent bd846e89bef8324b758f8a2c6e7dde41aa4ddd9d

  patched  include/simple_cfd/cse/cse_optimiser.hpp
  patched  include/simple_cfd/numeric/ginac_expression.hpp
"
Possibly have a -- ... --- style entry telling the user where to put their changelog message?

"

--Enter a description of this change above--
Author:   Francis Russell <example <at> example.com>
Date:     21/07/10 13:35:29

.
.
.
Just a thought...
There was discussion of whitespace trimming; with this format, only
trailing blank lines need to be trimmed from the commit comment.
Thank you :-)
+1
There was a suggestion that the signing key could be different from the
author; this is possible on the command line, but not in this editor
format.

There was a suggestion to allow editing the changelist section, to
exclude files from commit (similar to the --exclude command line
option). That is complicated; let's leave that for later, or at least in
a separate discussion.
That is a great idea :-). Certainly would get my vote if/when it is done.
+10 :-)
I propose that we adopt this format, with the addition of a 'key: '
line under the 'Author: ' line; any objections?
+1
Derek; do you have time to work on this? I can do it if not.

[1] http://www.monotone.ca/wiki/RoadMap/
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/17851
[3] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/17936