Re: [Monotone-devel] code.monotone.ca mtn server problem?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] code.monotone.ca mtn server problem?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:27:34 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 15.10.2010 15:27, schrieb Stephen Leake:
>> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

>>> You forgot the database path in the URI and usher does not select
>>> databases based on branch patterns. The correct URI is:
>>>
>>> mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone
>>
>> Ok, that works.
>>
>> I guess I didn't pay enough attention to your announcement that this had
>> changed.
>>
>> Maybe the error message could be improved?
>
> The error message comes from usher, which is not my science field :) -

Ok.

> but in general it really tells you already what went wrong:
>
>   No server for pattern 'net.venge.monotone'
>
> Its only a bit unfortunate that its somewhat "hidden" inside the other
> netsync error cruft...

I did see that message.

It did not tell me "you forgot the path after the host".

If it said

    no pattern matching "net.venge.montone" in db at path "" on host
    "code.monotone.ca"

then there would be a clue what to fix; the empty path.

>> In particular, on Debian, I just did 'mtn sync' as usual, and got the
>> error message. That will probably happen to others.
>
> Right, and to be honest this is also somewhat wanted, because on the
> client side people with write permissions have to be a little bit more
> careful when syncing. And even readers will notice that not every branch
> is available under the same URI.

Ok.

> I blogged about all this largely yesterday [0] and hope people who have
> problems read and understand it (its cross-linked on monotone.ca like
> the other ones).
>
> Thomas.
>
> [0] http://www.thomaskeller.biz/blog/2010/10/14/moving-forward/

That says:

    A list of projects and all of their served branches is available via
    code.monotone.ca.

where, exactly? I could not find that list.

The blog only addresses the 0.48 syntax problem, not the 0.99 problem
that I had.

Also, while it is useful to have the blog post, I think we should always
post announcements like that on this list (address@hidden); I
consider this the prime and authoritative source for monotone
announcements.

--
-- Stephe