[Monotone-devel] Usher and older installations...

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Usher and older installations...
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:49:25 +0100 (CET)

Hey,

I've had a look at usher for a bit, and I was wondering how one would
do a smooth transition from having a monotone server to having
something that's controlled with usher, and was thinking that a way to
do this is to have usher be a transparent drop in replacement.

However, because usher really does require a server name (project
name?), complete transparency isn't possible.

So, I was wondering, would this be at all interesting?

I was imagining that a way to configure this would be with a catch all
stanza, like this:

server ""
 local "--confdir=/etc/monotone" "--db=/var/lib/monotone/default.mtn"
"--no-standard-rcfiles" "--rcfile=/etc/monotone/hooks.lua"
"--keydir=/var/lib/monotone/keys"

(this is, by the way, how I'd set up usher so it could replace the
monotone server on Debian that's installed with the monotone-server
package)

It is, of course, possible to do with a stanza like this:

 server ""
pattern "*"
  local "--confdir=/etc/monotone" "--db=/var/lib/monotone/default.mtn"
"--no-standard-rcfiles" "--rcfile=/etc/monotone/hooks.lua"
"--keydir=/var/lib/monotone/keys"

But that only works if the users pull like this:

  mtn pull mtn://host?*

and not with the following (perfectly valid, because there is such a
branch in /var/lib/monotone/default.mtn):

  mtn pull mtn://host?cookie

The reason for this is that the pattern in the usher configuration is
truly just a pattern prefix, not a true glob...  And the question is,
really, how one compares one glob with another.

So the question is, is there a good way to get the transparency that I
want?  Is it desirable, not just by me?

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/