Re: [Monotone-devel] branch management

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch management
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:16:07 +0100

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
> Now to the question which branches we really want to take care of.
>
> Since 0.48 is quite around I think it makes sense to support this a
> little longer - at least until Debian moves to a newer version - and
> backport important stuff as needed.

Thanks a lot for that.  Yes indeed, Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" will ship with
monotone 0.48 and will be supported for at least 2.5 years (i.e. the
life cycle of "Squeeze" plus one year after the release of its
successor, "Wheezy").  It is a bug plus for us to know that you will
provide long-term support for this version of monotone.  Note however
that the Debian maintainers have already done a very good job of
backporting critical fixes from the main line, by means of
Debian-specific patches; they maintain these patches in the branch
org.debian.monotone.  Thus, an upstream stable release branch is not
absolutely necessary for Debian but it might prove very useful for other
distributions.

> The translation update of course did not break anything for us, but I
> don't know for example if Debian policies allow i18n updates at all in
> the lifetime of a package and if this work is actually seen for 0.48
> users. (I do think its seen otherwise the original author wouldn't
> have send the patch probably, but I don't know the rules enough).

Translation updates are specifically allowed as part of the deep freeze
policy[1] that currently applies to Debian.  Richard or Francis, could
you please commit a suitable patch as an immediate descendant of
t:debian-monotone-0.48-3 (fbfd33230edd751a48e33774dbfb4af434eb0910)?  It
is OK to use the branch org.debian.monotone.squeeze for that.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/11/msg00006.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.