Re: [Monotone-devel] branch management

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch management
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:26:16 +0100

Am 07.12.10 21:16, schrieb Ludovic Brenta:
> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
>> Now to the question which branches we really want to take care of.
>>
>> Since 0.48 is quite around I think it makes sense to support this a
>> little longer - at least until Debian moves to a newer version - and
>> backport important stuff as needed.
>
> Thanks a lot for that.  Yes indeed, Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" will ship with
> monotone 0.48 and will be supported for at least 2.5 years (i.e. the
> life cycle of "Squeeze" plus one year after the release of its
> successor, "Wheezy").  It is a bug plus for us to know that you will
> provide long-term support for this version of monotone.  Note however
> that the Debian maintainers have already done a very good job of
> backporting critical fixes from the main line, by means of
> Debian-specific patches; they maintain these patches in the branch
> org.debian.monotone.  Thus, an upstream stable release branch is not
> absolutely necessary for Debian but it might prove very useful for other
> distributions.

Thats right and thats also the idea behind it - to move the patches for
older versions into some place where they're useful for a couple of
parties. I'm still not 100% clear if we actually create releases from
all the patches and bugfixes we apply to the nvm.monotone-* branches,
but at least they are now all tracked in a common place.
Originally we / I announced to make 1.0 the first "LTS" release, but
this is still not out of the doors and I don't live behind a rock to
notice that distros have other needs, namely need LTS support for older
versions as well.

>> The translation update of course did not break anything for us, but I
>> don't know for example if Debian policies allow i18n updates at all in
>> the lifetime of a package and if this work is actually seen for 0.48
>> users. (I do think its seen otherwise the original author wouldn't
>> have send the patch probably, but I don't know the rules enough).
>
> Translation updates are specifically allowed as part of the deep freeze
> policy[1] that currently applies to Debian.  Richard or Francis, could
> you please commit a suitable patch as an immediate descendant of
> t:debian-monotone-0.48-3 (fbfd33230edd751a48e33774dbfb4af434eb0910)?  It
> is OK to use the branch org.debian.monotone.squeeze for that.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/11/msg00006.html

Ok, thanks for that. Basically as "upstream" I felt a little fuzzy about
including i18n updates in a (possible) patch release, but its nice to
see that Debian people will profit from it (once you packaged it up).

Thomas.