[Monotone-devel] mingw-instructions

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] mingw-instructions
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 06:54:44 -0500

http://wiki.monotone.ca/RoadMap/  has an entry:

Split INSTALL by platform and update it | n/a |
`net.venge.monotone{,.mingw-instructions}` | started |

However, the mingw-instructions branch is more about upgrading to a
newer version of the MinGW tools; splitting INSTALL is already done, on
the main branch.

I suggest we change this line to 'upgrade to newer MinGW tools'.

Note that main/INSTALL_windows_native says:

    The versions given here were used to build the current release of
    monontone.

mingw-instructions changes that to:

    The versions given here may not be exactly the same versions as used
    to build the current release of monontone.

Do we want to establish a policy of 'official mingw versions for mtn
releases"?

If so, I suggest we move 'upgrade to new MinGW' to after 1.0, since
there is lots of other work to do (ie, I'd rather not spend time trying
the new MinGW stuff).

Having an official MinGW version list is useful in the case of
MinGW-version dependent bugs. This has happened in the past, with
internationalization.

If we don't care about official versions of MinGW tools (which would be
difficult to enforce), then it doesn't really matter whether this is in
1.0 or not.

--
-- Stephe