Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] net.venge.monotone.sou

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] net.venge.monotone.source-tree-cleanup: d54c8c17eeebbe7dd6bb30d4d10996db79de24f2
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 02:35:38 -0500

ignore my other email about .info not being built. Sigh.

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 05:18:07 -0500, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> stephen_leake> After that, 'make distcheck' fails on Debian:
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/Projects/monotone/monotone.source-tree-cleanup-build/monotone-1.0dev/_build/doc'
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> ...
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> cd ../../doc
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> ...
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> mkdir: cannot create directory `.am17349': Permission denied
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> At this point, the working directory is
> stephen_leake> monotone.source-tree-cleanup-build/monotone-1.0dev/doc, which
> has
> stephen_leake> permissions dr-xr-xr-x, which is why the mkdir fails.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> Apparently distcheck doesn't expect the makefile commands to
> write to
> stephen_leake> the source directory (which makes sense); it changes the source
> stephen_leake> directory permissions to a-w. But this is a standard autotool
> hack to
> stephen_leake> backup some tex files.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> And it works in main.
>
> Yup, the backup happens when it builds .info files.  Makefile.am in
> main has a hack that probably cirumvents this.  I'll check that out...
>
> The GNU standard seems to say that .info files should be distributed
> with the tarball, so the user doesn't have to build them (in other
> words, the user isn't required to have the tool chain that is
> required).  That's why they build .info files in the source tree by
> default.  Consequently, they don't expect maintainers (such as
> yourself ;-)) to have r/o source directories...  which does make
> sense, come to think of it.

The .info files are in the tarball; they are built in the orig source
directory before the tarball is built.

However, monotonevars.texi is changed, because the build dir is changed,
so the infos are rebuilt, with a read-only source tree, which fails.

So it's the introduction of monotonevars that is causing this problem.

That is used in '@verbatiminclude @value{top_srcdir}/src/std_hooks.lua'

Apparently there is no search path for this; it would be _much_ cleaner
to specify 'makeinfo -I ${top_srcdir}'!

Maybe we could make a symlink, so '@verbatiminclude std_hooks.lua' would
work?

> I'm really not sure we should double-bend our backs to accomodate
> people checking out monotone into a r/o source.

I agree in general, except that's what 'make distcheck' does, and it's
on the list of required Makefile targets (which I'm adding to
notes/release_checklist.txt).

We could remove 'distcheck' from the list of required targets.

--
-- Stephe