Re: [Monotone-devel] Confusing terminology between usher and monotone an

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Confusing terminology between usher and monotone and proposed change
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 17:09:50 -0400

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:42:41AM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:
> I've had a closer look at the terminology used in usher and in
> monotone, and there is a part that's quite confusing:
>
> In usher terminology, different databases are served by different
> monotone server, and therefore, the URI to access them through a
> server name would be expressed as mtn://HOST/SERVER?PATTERN.
>
> In monotone terminology, the same URI is expressed as
> mtn://HOST/PATH?PATTERN.
>
> Furthermore, usher is a server in its own right, so when talking about
> the usher+monotone combination, it might be confusing to talk about a
> server, as it might not always be clear if you're talking about the
> usher server itself or one of the underlying monotone servers.
>
> Also, in usherctl, the confusion is increased, since it uses PROJECT
> to designate what usher calls SERVER and monotone calls PATH.  This is
> confusing since monotone has another idea of what a project is, and
> will just increase as soon as policy branches are in place.
>

> To clear the confusion, I propose that we make a terminology change in
> usher, where the term SERVER (to designate a monotone server entry in
> the usher configuration) be changed to PATH (with the implicit
> understanding that a PATH is then served by the monotone server in
> said entry).

This would presumably be the server name in the "server" line.  The
"foo" in
    server "foo"

But the word "path" is in common usage to a sequence of directory names
separated by slashes, possibly ending in a file name.

This still leaves room for confusion, since (unless I'm grossly
confused) it's not the file name of the data base that's wanted here.

-- hendrik