Re: [Monotone-devel] New BETA RC 1 Version Of Mtn-Browse

From: Anthony Edward Cooper
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New BETA RC 1 Version Of Mtn-Browse
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 02:14:27 +0100

   Hia Thomas :-),

   Many thanks for giving this a spin.

Ok the easy stuff first. As for an option to specify a custom dot. Do you mean a preference option? I only did that for the comparison program as there are a lot to choose from and people are bound to want to use different ones (not only settable on installation but via user preferences as well). However, no so with dot. I am happy with hardwiring a path via the installer. Also if someone is using a custom version then they can always write a wrapper script to amend the path before running it (if they are running with custom versions of software then a wrapper script is something they would get used to writing :-)). I can think of lots of other apps that do this.

   Now the hard bit. The rendering.

Performance: The slow bits are getting the revision information from mtn (predictable and not too bad), dot going mental because of a large graph and using the canvas to draw text. From what you say this is the thing slowing you down.

Render issue. I have just tried dot version 2.28 (graphviz_2.28.0-1_i386.deb) just before writing this email. It works perfectly on Deb5. From the pic you sent it seems to be putting stuff in the right place but it looks like dot is not giving any height/diameter to the merge nodes and rectangles. My reasoning is as follows. The canvas is capable of drawng rectangles with a width and height as shown by the selected node (red blob). Yet the arrows and my selection box are all drawn as if the nodes are of zero height (think black lines through the text). If I had failed to say read in the size of the nodes then the arrows would still be drawn leaving a gap for the nodes. Weird one. I take it that monotone-viz works fine with that version of dot.

Anyway I have attached a perl script that I used to interpose and capture dot's output. Could you please edit it to point to your version of dot and then make sure that it is run instead of your real dot. Graph something out of the monotone.mtn database that I can refer to and then email me the output. I'll have a look at it.

   Many thanks once again.

   Tony.

Thomas Keller wrote:
Hi Tony!

Thank you for this new version. I tried it out and while its not
blazingly fast, the draw speed is still very acceptable (approx. 20 to
30 seconds for roughly one and a half year of nvm history on my Core 2 Duo).

I'm facing a rendering problem, though (screenshot attached): Merge
nodes aren't visible at all and normal revisions are only shown as bar,
but not as rectangular box. The -No-Labels version did not help here at
all, but it was surely faster during the rendering phase and did not
create any other problems than the one mentioned above. dot is from
graphviz 2.28.0 (20110702.2211), by the way.

I also noticed that mtn-browse will recognize if no dot is available,
but it will not allow me to set a custom path to a custom dot version in
a settings dialog in case its not in PATH. This should probably be easy
to fix.

Please drop me a note if you freeze the strings, so I can finalize the
German translation for it.

Thanks,
Thomas.