[Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 201 - "pull" and "db check" have differen

From: code
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 201 - "pull" and "db check" have different opinion on whether branch certs are needed (monotone)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:57:50 +0200

Hello,

The following issue has been updated:

201 - "pull" and "db check" have different opinion on whether branch certs are
needed
Project: monotone
Labels:
 Type:Defect
 Priority:Medium

Comments (last first):

# By Richard Hopkins, Jun 25, 2012:

I don't consider those problems either in the "source" database. What I do
prefer though is that I don't have to worry some info is only in some
databases, which is why I'd like netsync to transfer all certs for negotiated
revisions.

I like everything being everywhere for safety as well as a less of a mental
burden of remembering; I don't like the notion of sharding promoted more by
other DVCSs, and thoroughly agree with Nathaniel's slides.

# By Markus Wanner, Jun 25, 2012:

It's news to me that a missing branch cert is considered a serious problem.
What's wrong with having revisions without any certs at all? I don't personally
count that as an inconsistency (and certainly not multiple changelog, date,
author, suspend or comment certs, no matter what their content is).

I'd vote for relaxing db check to something sane, instead of fiddling with
netsync.

# By Richard Hopkins, Jun 24, 2012:

"It would be nice if monotone would pull all certs for pulled revisions."

Agree.

# By Stephen Leake, Jun 23, 2012:

confirmed in nvm head; added test pull_branch_vs_db_check

# By Michael Raskin, Dec  6, 2011:

Steps to reproduce the problem:
-------------------------------

1. mtn pull mtn://code.monotone.ca/\?net.venge.monotone
2. mtn db check

Expected result:
----------------

Success

Actual results:
---------------

"serious problem" reported, mtn db check return code non-zero

Problem is:
-----------

mtn pull doesn't pull branch certs unless they match the pattern that I pull.
mtn db check considers missing branch certs a serious consistency problem.

It would be nice if monotone would pull all certs for pulled revisions. It
would be nice if I could force mtn db check to ignore some classes of
consistency half-problems. Two valid changelogs is not a problem worth my
attention in most cases.

It is a bug that succesful mtn pull can create whatever monotone can call a
serious problem. The simplest solution is probably to demote missing branch
certificates to an mtn db check warning.

--
Issue: https://code.monotone.ca/p/monotone/issues/201/