Re: [Monotone-devel] file: on windows via tcp sockets

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] file: on windows via tcp sockets
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:27:36 -0400

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> 04:56:45 -0400, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> said:
>
> stephen_leake> This discussion suggests a way to make file: work on Windows
> native; use
> stephen_leake> TCP sockets to connect between the client and server instances
> of mtn.
>
> Not sure that's a good idea from a security point of view.

Hmm. We start the client, which starts the server process, giving it a
random port to wait on. The server process then waits for the client to
do a socket connect, on that port.

I guess the security issue is that some hacker could notice the port and
connect to it? We could use the mtn authentication to avoid that.

There will be Windows Firewall issues; it will prompt the user about
allowing internet connectivity for what they think is a purely local program.

--
-- Stephe