[Monotone-devel] Using github as a showcase

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Using github as a showcase
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 12:24:13 +0200

Just like Jack Lloyd recently decided for Botan [1] I kinda decided to
have a mirror of my more publicly useful monotone branches on github
[2], as nowadays github seems to be "THE social meeting point" of
DVCS-using developers. (I'm also using my own Indefero install [3])

I still can't wrap my mind around "git" itself, though, and have no
intention to migrate my own development from monotone.
(for the github project which I forked I used Mercurial's hg-git module,
which is a bit closer to mtn as a command set)

Exporting mtn→git is easy enough, thanks to a script I adapted from Jack
Lloyd, which is in turn adapted from someone-else. [4]

Problem is: it seems to be working, as I have received my first big (and
mostly useful) pull request, and now I'm wondering: what's the best way
to commit a patch? What's the way to have headers in mtn commit that,
once exported to github again, can be recognised to show the correct
committer? So far, I didn't try any of that, and if no one here knows
the answer I will eventually try-and-repeat until I have some success.

Another question: do you use --log-certs and/or --log-revids? Why?

cheers,

[1] https://github.com/randombit/botan
[2] https://github.com/lapo-luchini/asn1js/
[3] http://idf.lapo.it/p/asn1js/
[4]

% cat git-authors.txt
address@hidden = Lapo Luchini <address@hidden>
% cat git-branches.txt
it.lapo.asn1js = master
% cat mirror_to_github.sh
#!/bin/sh
cd `dirname "$0"`
if [ ! -d .git ]; then
    git init
    git remote add origin address@hidden:lapo-luchini/asn1js.git
fi
touch git-marks1.txt git-marks2.txt
mtn --quiet --authors=git-authors.txt \
  --branches-file=git-branches.txt --import-marks=git-marks1.txt \
  --export-marks=git-marks1.txt git_export | \
    git fast-import --import-marks=git-marks2.txt \
      --export-marks=git-marks2.txt
git push --mirror origin

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
(Arthur C. Clarke)