Re: [Monotone-devel] deferred merge

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] deferred merge
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 09:44:57 -0400

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:35:14AM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
> On 03/26/2016 04:46 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > Is there some easy oe-time way of asking a merge to be deferred,
>
> Not really, no. Like a commit, this is an atomic operation: either the
> resulting revision has one (commit) or two (merge) parents. So you can
> only defer the merge completely. That works pretty well and may be
> reasonable. For long lived diverges, I usually give one of the branches
> a specific name.
>
> > so
> > that the "merged" file has both versions in it, complete with
> > '<<<<<<<<' and ">>>>>>>" and ssuch to mark the conflicts?
>
> Well, you can always commit the file including these markers. However,
> they have no special meaning for monotone and things might get messy
> with further merges on that same file.

Thank you.

Yes, I figured it out.  The trick is not to do any merging in the emacs
merge operation, but to click into the merge buffer and save it,
telling it yes I mean it when it protests.

Then, of course, use mmore leisurely tools to analyse the resulting
mess and commmit when all those markers are gone.

Leaving markers around for yet another merge operation would probably
invite disaster.

-- hendrik