Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-viz problem

From: Anthony Edward Cooper
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-viz problem
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 20:22:06 +0100

On 24 June 2016 23:04:38 BST, Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:50:56PM +0100, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
>> Yes the dot format does change and get tweaked/updated. It has
>> probably changed too much for the aging monotone-viz. Is monotone-vis
>
>> still maintained? It's written in Occaml and as such I don't think it
>
>> has been touched for years and is probably not maintained at all now.
>
>Ocaml does not scare me.
Then you could update monotone-viz😊...

>> I'm being completely biased but mtn-browse also does graph
>visualization like monotone-viz and much more besides. You could give
>that a go...
>
>I neither was aware that mtn-browse existed, nor know where to find
>it.
You can find it under GUI tools on the main monotone site and more specifically:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mtn-browse/

>It does not appear to be in the Debian repositories,

I wrote mtn-browse but haven't got involved in the packaging. There's only so
much free time... Others have fine excellent work on packaging it for redhat,
but that doesn't help you.

One can easily install mtn-browse under /opt and the installer will highlight
missing dependencies.

and googling it
>provides me with methods to cheat MTN (whatever that is) to browse for
>free.

Yes I've noticed that as well...

>What *is* the dot output, anyway?
Dot is a part of graphviz and as such is a layout processor, given a list of
geometric shapes and their links, it will generate an optimized graph layout.
Both monotone-viz and mtn-browse use it the generate the graphs.