myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] Maltego

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Maltego
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 13:34:31 +0100

I was pointed to this:

Maltego http://www.paterva.com/

Thanks to Rhod Davies for the info

They are about to release a new version (and I think move to a commercial footing). The tool is a framework for data mining. It has concepts of things like people, web sites, IP addresses, domain names. You can download "transforms" that allow you to relate one of these concepts to another and built up a graph of relationships.

Some penetration testers my pal Rhod knows use this in the reconnaissance phase to find out more about their targets. Some of the plug ins go back to search engines and a couple of them try to follow social networking sites - possibly via an aggregator search engine (http://www.rapleaf.com/). Some of the transforms are a bit flaky but it still produces useful information.

Carole