nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] wrapping, etc.

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] wrapping, etc.
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:31:36 -0800 (PST)

--- David Benbennick <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:              <snip>
>> I'm not in front of my box right now, but IIRC, the bug
>> could be reproduced as follows using the following
>> instructions (and, of course, your original wrapping
>> patch).  It's easy to see if you turn on constant cursor
>> position display before doing this.
>>
>> 1. start with a blank buffer
>> 2. type in "one two three"
>> 3. move the cursor to the space between "one" and "two"
>> 4. hold down the spacebar until "two three" has wrapped
>> onto the next line
>

>I guess it doesn't really matter, but I don't see an error here.  I do
>       ./nano -c
>in an 80-column xterm.  I type
>       one two three
>then move the cursor to column 4.  I type space until the cursor is in
>column 63.  The file has 73 characters (that is, 72 plus the \n).  Then
>one more space wraps the "three" and nano correctly says there are 74
>characters.

Hmmm ... I tried it in an 80x24 rxvt, with "this is a test"
and with the cursor initially between "this" and "is", hit
space until "is a test" is on the next line, and then moved
down to the magicline, where nano said I was on character 81
of 82; totsize was high by one.  With the fix mentioned
below, nano said I was on character 81 of 81.

>If my original calculation of totsize is correct, then I vote to use it in
>do_wrap().  Three reasons:
>       1) nano is 160 bytes smaller that way.  Every little bit helps.
>       2) it is slightly more efficient.
>       3) Mainly, I think the totsize code is more readable that way,
>since it explicitly says how totsize is changing and why.

I'm now going with it for those reasons; see below.

The first attached patch is the last one you sent, with the
following changes:

* reversion to your totsize calculation method; however,
one "totsize++;" in it is commented out for now to keep
totsize from being high by one in certain situations (it
appears to work properly in my preliminary testing; let me
know if any problems result when you try it)

* a few miscellaneous comment and spacing fixes

The second attached patch is nanopieces2.patch, which is
just the old nanopieces.patch updated to a very recent
1.1.7-cvs snapshot (I haven't been able to upgrade to
1.1.8-cvs yet) and built on top of the other patch (since
the former makes some major changes).

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like address@hidden from
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net?tag