nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] search history

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] search history
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:54:56 -0700

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:20:34AM +1000, Ken Tyler wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, David Benbennick wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:41:53AM +1000, Ken Tyler wrote:
> > > Is proto.h supposed to contain all funtion protos, not just publically
> > > needed protos ?
> >
> > proto.h should have prototypes for all non-static functions.  Recently it
> > was decreed there should be no static functions.
>
> OK, a few additions to proto.h
>
> > > Who would like the patch ?
> >
> > Could you make it public, like on the web?  Anyway, I'd like to see it.
>
> I'll try, have to set something up.
>
> > > Doesn't affect pico mode ...
>
> > Why not have the same feature in Pico mode?  I use Pico mode by default,
> > and only turn it off when I need to edit the last search, or replace by
> > the empty string.
>
> I was under the impression that pico mode should emulate Pico exactly.

It should, but since this mode could be compatible and yet be a superset of the
functionality offered by Pico without *breaking* compatibility (currently
up/down in Pico's search mode does nothing), it could be in both modes.

Honestly I'd rather see the current non-pico behavior go away; yes its
consistent across functions but people are used to the way Pico does previous
search strings.  I'd rather the new behavior become the default, drop the ^\
shortcut from the menu and drop Pico compatibilty mode entirely (as we'd
pretty much be pico compatible).

Serious question (now that the list seems to be back up): Who actually likes the
default previous search/replace string behavior?

P.S.  Ken, no one can committ the patch until you post it somewhere ;-)  As
this
code was supposed to be in already, it can probably be let in for 1.2.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001