nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nanodocs and nanongettext2 committed

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nanodocs and nanongettext2 committed
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:49:09 -0800 (PST)

David Benbennick:

<snip>

>The example you sent,

<snip>

>is not a bug.  There is only one "space" after the period: the new line.

>Justification shouldn't make the file bigger, and shouldn't create two
>spaces after periods for people who don't want them.

>> but it does remove trailing whitespace on justification, as
>> nanomiscbugs2a.patch did.

>For the same reason, justification should also keep "two" spaces after
>periods that end lines.  For example, justifying
>
>foo.
>>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
>should, and does, produce
>
>foo.
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
>with a space after the dot.

Okay.  With my whitespace-eating changes applied, though,
justifying the first paragraph produces the second,
justifying the second paragraph eats the space after the
period, and if enough a's are removed from the end of the
second line to make the justified result fit on one line,
the resulting line is

foo. aaaa[however many a's are left]

This case shows that, with my changes, justification can
modify an already justified line, which, now that I think
about it, probably shouldn't be allowed.

>Note this behavior is compatible with Pico.

Mostly, as it also is with my changes.  However, the above case is enough of a
problem that I'm reverting them for
now.  Thanks for finding it, though.

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get address@hidden w/No Ads,
6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag