nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] None

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] None
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:55:21 -0800

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 12:03:24AM -0600, Nickolai Dobrynin wrote:
> I think, XFree86 is, overall, good enough so that it doesn't disturb the
> general picture, as far as the usage of the UNIX apps goes. If doesn't
> work under Cygwin, it won't work otherwise too.
>
> Furthermore, my terminal is defaulted to 'ansi', but I also tried setting
> it to 'xterm' and 'vt200', and none of those made a difference.

I think the $TERM being ansi will always hurt the issue more than help
it, unless you absolutely need ansi for a reason I would strongly
suggest using a $TERM value of vt100, xterm (or cygwin under Cygwin).
The  fact that this doesn't work reinforces that the system itself has
issues, likely the ncurses installation as David pointed out.

> If it's OK to give you another suggestion, then it would be to update the
> development history as regularly as possible. This would make the process
> more open. I know for a fact that there are lots of people who are sick of
> the UW way of doing things, and posting the regular development news would
> perhaps draw more manpower into the project. This might be particularly
> true because of some very small rumor spread around about a month ago that UW
> has a plan to close up the source both for 'pine' and 'pico' and start
> a proprietary game. Given that UW is a public school, I doubt this can
> ever happen, but you never know!

I think we are currently fairly open about the development process.  We
have a publicly accessible CVS tree, and I think we do a good job of
documenting each individial change made in the ChangeLog file
distributed with each version of nano, as well documentating changes I
don't think nano is a big enough project to warrant a weekly summary of
changes at this point.

Regarding your second point, someone did point out in responding to the
article I wrote abou the UW Pine license that Eudora was once
university owned software but then went commercial.  Whether it's true
or not, I don't know.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-07-02-025-21-OP-CY-DB-0018

> One last note, and this is more on the Cygwin side. I've got version
> 1.1.10-1 installed in Cygwin, but every time I try to run it, it says:
> "Error opening terminal: cygwin." or, with XFree86 running, "Error opening
> terminal: xterm.". The last one is when I execute it from the local
> XFree86 shell. The proper DOS version 1.0.9, on the other hand, runs just
> fine.

The official Win32 version of nano (like the 1.0.9 version) are linked
with a curses library called PDCurses.  It allows nano to run with no
existing cygwin setup on the box (specifically no termcap files).  Since
this works, it would again seem to point to an issue with the ncurses
installation under Cygwin.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001