nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon xterm
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:59:04 -0700 (PDT)

Wouter van Hemel:

<snip>

>> 4. Press Delete, and tell me exactly what gets printed out (including
>> any control characters).
>
>^[[3~ (aterm, xterm, debian xterm, debian gnome-terminal)
>
>PS: I noticed that the new gnome terminal has an option to choose
>between 3 sequences for BackSpace and Delete to be generated in the
>terminal window. These three options are: "Ascii Del" which generates
>"J" "Escape Sequence" which generates "^[[3~" "Ctrl-H" which amazingly
>generates "^H"

"J" is KEY_DC cut down to ASCII range, and ^[[3~ is the escape sequence
to delete the current character on many different terminal types: the
Linux console, many VTxxx-type terminals, etc., but not the FreeBSD
console.

>Ascii Del is the GTerm default for BackSpace, Escape Sequence for
>Delete, which also seems to be the choice for plain xterms.

Well, at least that's somewhat consistent.  Of course, the name "Ascii
Del" is a misnomer since the ASCII character that's supposed to
represent Delete is ASCII 127.

>In nano on freebsd, TERM=xterm, both Ascii Del and Escape Sequence do a
>"delete" (clears right), and Ctrl-H does a "backspace" (clears left).
>
>As far as I remember, I've never seen the ^[[3~ sequence do a
>backspace, in any TERM, so it seems to be the safest bet for a Delete.
>It's the "J" sequence that tends to swap between Del or BS, in
>different TERMs.

Exactly.  It's all cleared up now.

>Good luck. ;)

Thank you.