nano-devel

[Nano-devel] nanodbmove2.patch applied, etc.

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] nanodbmove2.patch applied, etc.
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 00:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

I've been testing nanodbmove2.patch for awhile, and I haven't had any
problems so far, so it's in, meaning that some references to editbot are
now removed and his smooth paging code is now used when smooth scrolling
mode is on.  Note that I still need to phase out the rest of the
references to editbot (and I've already taken a few steps in that
direction), but I'll get to that soon.

In the meantime, I've been thinking about the display issues with color
regexes and other things, and accordingly I've been looking into one
important chunk of DB's patch: the display_string() function, which
apparently consists of the display routines of update_line() split out
into a separate function.  Since converting nano to use this function
will solve a few problems (improper displaying of highlighted strings
that are longer than the screen width when doing search/replace,
improper displaying of control characters at the statusbar prompt and
possibly elsewhere, etc.), I'm going to try to do that next.  I've
already ported most of it over and have been doing preliminary testing
what I've ported, but it's incomplete at the moment; I need to fix a few
instances where display_string() should be called but isn't, and do some
more general testing to be sure everything works as expected.

Note that doing this does partially deal with the color-displaying code,
but that appears to be unavoidable.  I don't think it should cause any
major breakage of the proposed color syntax speedups, though, seeing as
it doesn't make any major changes to the regexec() calls involved (and
seeing that the changes are still proposals, after all).  In any case,
the incomplete patch is at:

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanodbdisplay-patch.txt

if there are any problems.