nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] justify in nano 1.3.7.

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] justify in nano 1.3.7.
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:02:38 -0400

Ken Tyler wrote:

> On of my pet hates is trailing spaces and tabs on the ends of lines.
> Imagine my absolute horror when I noticed that justifying a paragraph
> leaves a trailing space on every line. I had to lie down for the rest of
> the day. I am appalled at the thought of all those reduntant spaces I have
> inadvertantly released into the world.
>
> I don't recall earlier versions of nano doing this.

It's been doing this since 1.3.3, although it's only been really doing
it properly since 1.3.6.  Before that, and in 1.2.x, it would leave one
space at the end of a line if it ended with two before justification. (By the way, it shouldn't be leaving a space at the end of the last
line.  If it is, that's a bug.)

As for why the behavior changed, (a) later versions of Pico do this
(apparently, some RFC dealing with flowed text in email requires it; a
line ending in a space is flowed into the next one, so all lines except
for the last one in a paragraph have to end in spaces), and (b) it's
consistent with wrapping, which leaves spaces at the end of wrapped
lines.

Sorry for any inconvenience, though.  If it bothers you that much, I
suppose you could always do a complete regex replace of "( )+$" with ""
just before saving...