nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] doc updates

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] doc updates
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:07:45 -0500

Mike Frysinger wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 06:57:36AM +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>
>>well, i noticed that for every unicode char i type, my cursor extends
>>past the end of the line by one char ... and when i try typing in
>>chars after a unicode, sometimes it gets inserted into the wrong place
>
>note that it usually displays correctly (if i dont try inserting the
>char into the 'middle' of the UTF8 char), but if i save and re-open,
>the letters will be all jumbled up

Hmmm.  I'm still not seeing anything like this on my end with current
CVS, so I'm going to need more information to fix this.  If nano's able
to display Unicode properly at all, then the locale should be set
properly, so I'm guessing that that isn't it.  What terminal emulator
are you using, and does switching to another one change anything?  I
test nano mostly under rxvt-unicode and uxterm, so if the problem occurs
under wither one of those, then that probably isn't the issue either.

Incidentally, the only time I've had the problem with the cursor's
extending past the end of the line while the Unicode was displayed
correctly, and with inserting text into the wrong place in the line
under similar circumstances, was when I was trying to make normal
ncurses display multibyte strings properly (and hence learning the hard
way that only ncursesw could do it).  Keeping that in mind, what's your
ncurses setup like?  Or are you using slang in this case?