nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Impending 1.3 feature freeze...

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] Impending 1.3 feature freeze...
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:01:09 -0400

As of 1.3.12, nano will officially be in feature freeze for the
following reasons:

1. I'd like to get nano 1.4 out sometime soon, seeing as how the UTF-8
support is extremely important.

2. The feature freeze for nano 1.2 started with 1.1.12, i.e, after a
significant number of releases, which nano 1.3 has had for the most
part.

3. I'm running out of time and energy.  Bug fixes won't be a problem,
but massive new features and all of their associated testing will be.

The only item left in the TODO list is to convert the nano FAQ to SGML. How vital is this? (In other words, would there be a problem if it were
moved to the 1.6 TODO list?)  Also, if it's going to be automatically
converted to html as part of the CVS build process, what will the
requirements be for that?

Since it's been a little over a month since 1.3.11, I'd like nano to go
into bugfix mode soon.  Since this will effectively start an unofficial
feature freeze before 1.3.12, and I don't want to rush things without
any feedback, if anyone wants a new feature in time for 1.4 that won't
require a massive rewrite, they should bring it up by May 17th.  Note
that this includes John M. Gabriele's indenting-by-single-spaces idea,
but I'll need answers to my previous questions about it by the 17th if
I'm going to implement it.

Comments?  Thanks in advance.