nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:40:14 -0400

David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:

<snip>

> It would be useful for the above reason, but complicated to implement. > And it's not a matter of setting --prefix. For example, if you don't
> build nano with --disable-nls, all the .po files are updated as part
> of the build, so that the .gmo files generated from them later are up
> to date.  What should be done then?  And how do you get gcc to put its
> object files in a different location from the source files during the
> build?

Never mind this.  I just tried an experiment where I made a build/
subdirectory and then ran the configure script from there, and this
appears to work properly, except for two things: all the files generated
by autogen.sh, which still must be run from nano's source directory
(although this only applies to CVS builds); and the updated .po files
and generated .gmo files mentioned before.  All the other build files
were placed in the build/ directory, as expected.  Basically, this isn't
as hard as I thought, although there are a few bits that need tweaking.