nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Feat.suggestion: Feed marked txt to external command

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Feat.suggestion: Feed marked txt to external command
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:02:52 -0400

Andrew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a feature suggestion for my all-time favorite editor: Feed
> marked text to external command.
>
> When this feature is invoked, marked text is piped to a user-specified
> UNIX program (e.g. sort, column, grep, sed). If the output of the
> program (to stdout) is not empty AND no error code was returned, the
> marked text is replaced by the program's output (the original marked
> text is preserved in the cut-buffer, in case the results are not as
> expected).
>
> What do you all think?
>
> Thanks for your time and best regards.

It's an interesting idea.  The existing internal spell checker support
does this with spell's output, except that it doesn't store the
un-spellchecked text in the cutbuffer.  However, specifying the command
and reserving a key for it would be complicated, and it can't get into
the next version of nano in any case, since nano's in a feature freeze
for its next release right now.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.