nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:22:21 +0200

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:34:15PM -0500, David Ramsey wrote:
> I'll look into this.  I've never really read through the FDL in detail
> before, aside from the parts about unmodifiable sections (which I don't
> particularly like).

The umodifiable bits are still contested by Debian. Relicensing to only
FDL for now would mean I'd have to drop info docs and manpages from the
package (or do a fork of the manpages, which would suck).

IIUC, GNU will focus on a GFDL revision, now that their resources are
free from the GPLv3 effort, and it seems one of the goals would be to
make it fit in the DFSG.

Relicensing the docs to the GFDL is something GNU has been pursuing for
some time, but we've never done, probably because of the above problem.
We could double license the docs GDFL/GPL for now, and when the FDL 2.0
comes out, hopefully resolving the problem, relicense again to FDL 2.0
only.

I know GNU people still won't be too happy about a double license, but I
think it'd be a good compromise.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/