nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Smooth Horizontal Scroll patch

From: Mark Majeres
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Smooth Horizontal Scroll patch
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 08:59:06 -0700

> When things are coloured they disappear later than when not
> coloured.  Probably the coloured way is the preffered one, then
> the $ means that there really is something beyond the screen.
> In the uncoloured case, the last character disappears too soon,
> it should be visible in the column that otherwise is taken by
> the $.

Hi Benno,

I think that problem may have been there to begin with.  It just
became more noticeable with the patch.

I tracked it down to the following lines in edit_draw()

    if (using_utf8())
        /* Tickle the terminal into displaying two-column characters
         * properly, using Unicode 00A0 (No-Break Space). */
        mvwaddstr(edit, line, COLS - 1, "\xC2\xA0\x00");

I have no idea what these are doing, some sort of escape code sent to
the terminal I guess.  It overwrites the last column though.

If the line has any color on it the last column is drawn again and the
char in the column appears as it should.

I just rearranged editdraw() slightly so the last column is always
drawn after the escape codes are sent.  Seems to work now.

-Mark Majeres