nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] the mechanics of wrapping

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] the mechanics of wrapping
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 20:35:20 +0200

Hello James,

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014, at 8:42, James Freer wrote:
> I'd be grateful if someone could clarify if nano can be set up for
> what I call 'softwrap' for long lines. In gedit wordwrap is exactly
> that and the same with emacs 'visual line mode' or Vim's set
> linebreak.

Ah.  You mean a softwrap that only breaks at whitespace?
Nano doesn't do that.  It would require a patch.

> There is softwrap in nano but it wraps long lines without removing
> spaces and not saving in that mode.

"Saving in that mode"?  Softwrap is a setting of the editor, not an
attribute associated with a file.  Also in vim, when using :set linebreak
for some file, vim doesn't remember this for the next session.

So no, nano doesn't do wordwrap, it doesn't respect the integrity
of words when doing softwrap.

Benno