nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] do we still want to support Slang?

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] do we still want to support Slang?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:55:36 +0200

El dt 30 de 08 de 2016 a les 10:17 +0200, en/na Benno Schulenberg va
escriure:
> Hi all,
>
> Apparently I've never tried configuring nano with --with-slang.
> Doing so today resulted in a few compilation errors, that are
> now fixed in git.
>
> But... when compiled --with-slang, resizing the window does not
> work: nano does not adapt, and when you then continue editing,
> it messes up the screen.  But worse: with slang, the Ctrl+Left
> and Ctrl+Right keys don't work, nor Shift+Left and Shift+Right,
> nor any other modifier combinations with the arrow keys.  For
> me, this takes away almost all usefulness of the editor.
>
> So, the question is: does anyone use --with-slang?

Yes. Long story short, only libtinfo is available (not the full
ncurses) in the very, very minimal debian-installer environment, while
libslang is fully available.

nano-tiny has been the default installer editor since it took over nvi
ages ago (2002 or something?). In the current incarnation of debian-
installer, it is run in a console, so resizing is not an issue, and it
is stripped down to basic editing.

Its purpose is for config file editing while installing a new Debian
system, or to do some emergency editing under the Recovery mode
environment. It does not need anything fancy, just reliable basic text
editing. Currently nano-tiny + slang seems to offer editing, plus
search, replace, cut/uncut, goto line, Prev & Next page (as advertised
in the status bar). That's more than enough.

I would be happy if slang can only be used with NANO_TINY, fwiw.

Jordi
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/