nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] softwrapping without varying row length

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] softwrapping without varying row length
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:29:49 +0100

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 01:14, David Ramsey wrote:
> the status quo won't work if
> you want the problems with two-column Unicode fixed.
>
> "(xpt / cols) * cols" and the like only work as long as softwrapped
> lines are of constant length.  Breaking the line early to avoid problems
> with two-column Unicode, [...],
> necessarily mean[s] that the lines are no longer of constant length.

Well... yes, rows will not be of constant span.  But... one
can still make it so that each chunk is of constant length.

See attached patch.  It sacrifices the last column so that a
double-width character can overflow into it.  This behavior
differs from that of vim and emacs, but it is too hard to get
the cursor placed right when trying to emulate that.

This is just a proof of concept -- it needs to properly set
editwincols in all places, and maybe some other corrections.
Patch is against current git.  Took me three or four days to
get it to work.  :|

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an