nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Please build last version of nano for Windows

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Please build last version of nano for Windows
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 18:50:22 +0000

Honestly I was hoping that being able run an entire instance of Ubuntu on Windows with Win10 would obviate the need for a separate nano binary. Unfortunately when I'd tried it, the emulation/translation layer used seems to be a little slower than I'd have expected.

Saleh have you tried using this Win10 feature, incidentally? You'd probably find nano more useful with the accompanying binaries, using either that Ubuntu-on-Win10 feature, or via Cygwin which was a godsend back when I was forced into using Windows for work. Cygwin is also Feee Software as far as I know.

Unfortunately back when I was providing these standalone Win32 nano binaries, I was also accused of single-handedly destroying the GPL by distributing them, because I wouldn't come over to the accuser's house and show him every command I used to create the build, and also wash his car and take his dog for a walk.

I'll put maintaining a new win32 build on the list of things I may be able to do given additional free time; if there's an outpouring of people clamoring for this it may get done faster though.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017, at 07:46, Saleh Rahimzadeh wrote:
> Please please please build and compile last version of nano
> for Windows (with full feature).

Sorry, it has been more than twelve years since I last used
Windows for anything.  I have no Windows machine, and even
if I had, I wouldn't know how to build nano program on it.

Someone else will have to help you.  Maybe Chris (CC'ed) is
still interested in building nano on Windows?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class